Industrial Millwright / Mechanic & Electrical Pre-Apprenticeship Program For Youth
This program is funded by the
Government of Ontario.
Free for successful applicants ages 30 and under, this 26-week program is offered in partnership between The Centre for Skills Development & Training and the Government of Ontario to support the demand for skilled trades. Participants receive training in two trades ensuring graduates have numerous career paths, a relevant skill set, shop experience and safety certifications.
We strongly encourage all interested applicants to apply, as The Centre for Skills Development & Training strives to create a diverse environment in which provides equal opportunity that prohibits any form of discrimination.
This program is for you if:
- Between 18 - 30 years old
- You like to work with your hands
- You learn by doing (not sitting at a desk)
- You like having lots of choice in your career
- You want an accelerated training program
- You want to pursue an apprenticeship
- You want employment assistance upon graduation
This training program provides in-class instruction and hands-on training in the following areas:
- Electrical Theory and Code (OEC)
- Practical electrical installations
- Hydraulics and pneumatics
- Machine theory and practice
- Rigging and hoisting
- AC motor control
- Machine and equipment lubrication
- Basic Programmable Logic Controls (PLCs)
- Interpreting engineering drawings
- Trade calculation and science
- Threads and fasteners
- Employability and Essential Skills
- Precision measuring tools and equipment
- Comprehensive safety training
- Millwrights maintain and repair stationary industrial machinery, equipment and systems and are often involved with installing, maintaining, repairing and removing equipment. Millwrights also perform routine maintenance activities, such as cleaning and lubricating equipment, adjusting valves and seals, and investigating breakdowns.
- Electricians are responsible for designing, installing, maintaining and troubleshooting electrical and electronic wiring systems in homes, commercial or industrial buildings, and even machines and large pieces of equipment.
- Industrial Millwright Mechanic and Electrician are both red seal trades; this means that you can travel across Canada with these apprenticeships.
- According to the Government of Canada, the median hourly wage for a licensed Millwright in the Hamilton/Niagara area is $28.00, $27.92 for licensed Electricians and $29.00 for licensed Industrial Electricians.
There are many opportunities for Millwrights and Electricians; they can work in diverse settings including repair shops, plants, construction sites, mines, logging operations, ski hills and many production and manufacturing facilities – essentially anywhere where machinery is used!
Need more information?
Thank you for your interest in the Industrial Millwright Mechanic & Electrical Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Youth program. Our next anticipated start date is early 2019, please fill out the form below and a member of our team with contact you shortly to discuss next steps. If you have any questions or inquiries, please feel free to contact: Danielle Scott, Student Engagement, Skilled Trades at email@example.com or 905-333-3499 X 331.